Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Return from beyond very little

Sometimes I think I have it all figured out. It’s generally just before I get intimately reacquainted with just how inconsequential I happen to be in the eyes of the greater universe. Then I remember that just because I won’t reverse the force of a black hole it doesn’t mean I can’t actually end of being the world to someone, which in a way is even more important. I can’t say that the universe would even care if I could create a white hole or two, but to the world I’m just one person, but to one person I could be the world. It can be a terrifying thought to be held in such high regard by someone, or to hold another in such an all-encompassing light; I often prefer the cold uncaring familiarity and order of “the big picture” out there to the confusion that is being around and with other people.

Sometimes I feel like I haven’t actually listened to anyone in a very, very long time. It’s not that I haven’t wanted to, rather its more I’m not sure that I knew how. I’ve been making a concerted effort to shut my mouth more lately, and it’s amazing what you can pick up on when you don’t think about what you’re going to say until someone else is completely finished. I don’t mean listening and replying; I don’t even mean active listening, I mean the stop what you you’re doing and intently focus on what someone else is saying until they are completely finished, then thoughtfully mulling over what they said before they actually replying. This is of course much easier said than done, but it’s certainly always appropriate. Always.

There’s also something so draining about sitting in front of a computer for 9 hours and then coming home to type on one some more. Please forgive me but between the new job and waking up at 5am like an AARP member bed calls. Until then go out and try to listen to someone you haven’t in awhile – I think you’ll be surprised at what you find out.

1 comment:

  1. My friend....writing and publishing is the only thing that survives your short time of consciousness...and even that, after a couple of thousand years will be lost...so, write...publish...and help all of us enjoy the present by absorbing your mind droppings...take care

    ReplyDelete